Yesterday I shared about the Thanksgiving gifts Olivia presented to her teachers. Here are the instructions.
To make pumpkin flower arrangements:
1. Buy small miniature size pumpkins for flower base and container. I bought these cute tiger pumpkins at Wal-Mart for 1¢ a piece.
2. Buy a beautiful assortment of different sized and colored fall flowers. The variety will add interest.
3. Being neat, cut out a portion of the top of the pumpkin and stem for a piece of oasis floral foam to be inserted.
4. Scoop out the seeds and membranes.
5. Soak a piece of oasis floral foam until it is well saturated.
6. Cut a piece of the oasis to fit the center cut of the pumpkin. Oasis floral foam is very easy to work with and cuts like butter.
7. Begin poking flowers into the oasis. I began with a large lily and filled the gaps with smaller mums. I cut flowers at different heights to add interest and variety.
8. Take a step back to insure there are not any bare areas that could use a flower.
"Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful you're my teacher."
10. You may want to punch a hole on the side of the card, insert raffia, and tie around one of the stems.
12. Finally, present the arrangement to a person you are THANKFUL for.
Olivia's teachers were thrilled to receive their arrangements and I was pleased with the way they turned out. I bought 12 pumpkins for 12¢ and 2 bunches of flowers for $19. I already had floral oasis, orange cardstock, Thanksgiving stickers, and raffia on hand. In the end the final cost was $19.12 ÷ 12 = $1.59 each.